Monday, October 8, 2007

A Happy Birthday!

As far as I am concerned, my birthday celebrations started from Friday last week. Some of my classmates and I went to a place on the West coast roadside to buy food. There was an ice-cream place close to it, so we ended up buying ice-cream while we waited for the food to be ready. I had peppermint ice-cream. Wasn't bad.

On Saturday I washed and went on the road with a friend. I went grocery shopping after and boy that was a struggle! It was a long walk home with heavy bags, but exercise is good I'm told. I washed my hair, cooked mac and cheese (from scratch) and baked chicken. I was so proud of myself.

I woke up early for church on Sunday. The service was in St. Peters. The church was small but cozy and fairly cool. They welcomed us new-comers and sang Happy Birthday to me with a song I am yet to hear anywhere else (except the first COG I went two weeks ago). After church, I went to school and on the way I was invited by the Carringtons to a dinner on campus, so I accepted. It turned out to be a UWI AA dinner, and it was a nice little affair.

I was doing work on chatting online when my birthday rolled in at 12:01 am on Monday. I didn't stay up too long but I took the time to thank God. I woke up and got a few calls wishing me a good day. I received a card and money from my landlady (sweet and unexpected). I got a ride to school from a neighbour who was running late and had pity on me walking to the UWI bus in the sun under my umbrella.

I got to school with minutes to spare. Some of my classmates remembered and did the usual courtesies. They sang happy birthday to me when I got to classroom. (Feeling loved already). Class was short, so we had an early lunch. I was planning to buy lunch on-campus, but I walked with a new friend who decided (after seeing the food and what was not ready) that she would take me to a nice place to eat. Yay!

We left school and stopped for what was supposed to be 10 minutes but turned into 40 min. She was replacing her hub-caps and it demonstrated that Bim does have poor customer service and/or incompetent staff...and no less at a company that is in J'ca as well (go figure). So, slightly annoyed, we left there and went to the place.

The place we went was in Warren West centre. It's called The Coffee Bean. I treated myself to a wholewheat grilled chicken wrap with a mint chocolate frappe. And I enjoyed it! The company and atmosphere was nice also. We went back to school after that, and to my surprise, my classmates had a little surprise for me- a cake with my name on it! [Sniff] They sang happy birthday and I blew out the relighting candles (whoever invented those are mean, mean people) and cut the cake with a classmate.

I chilled a bit before I headed home. I had a slight headache so I slept and woke up and watched tv. Then went back to work with chatting (voice and word) in-between (I finally discovered g-chat with voice and skype).

I do say I had a good day. Even doing work was fun (I need to be checked out now...beginning to wonder about my mental state). I pray God will grant me many more and that I can enjoy each one more than the previous.

Thanks to all who helped to make my day special!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. Sounds like you had a wonderful day, with all those different blessings coming your way.

bassChocolate said...

Glad it was good.

Diallo Dixon said...

Good to hear the day went well