Sunday, June 22, 2008

De Heart uh Barbados

Today was the day I chose to do De Heart uh Barbados. This is an annual event (apparently) that is coordinated by the Natural Heritage Department (NHD). And I must say I am happy I took part.

I went with a friend (classmate). We met early in Bridgetown to catch the bus from there to the venues. I pushed for early because I figured not many people would.

The first stop was the Harrison's Cave. I went once already but I still enjoyed going back. My friend who I was with was going for the first time and she enjoyed it also. We were happy we decided to go there first because the lines we saw after our tour was rather long.


The second stop was Aerial Trek. I must say I was somewhat relaxed and at peace until they started talking about it. They told us about the depth, the safety stuff, etc. On top of that, we had to sign a waiver so they won't be liable in case of... Anyways, we EVENTUALLY got to good stuff and the rain came tumbling down...it only lasted a few minutes though (thank God). It seems rain causes faster speeds. Yet another scare. We had the option of trying the first zip and opting out, thereafter progressing up the "walk of shame". But after I went the first zip, I was excited and my adrenaline was pumping! Unfortunately this initial excitment caused me to hurt my arm because I forgot to break slowly and ended up having to stop suddenly. But no horrors! I proceeded on to the remaining 6 zips and enjoyed everyone! And the best part, I have pictures to prove that I did it. There were some who did not get to experience this adventure because they were not as early- the volumes caused them to have a rather early cut-off time. Oh well.


After that rush, we went to get food! I didn't have breakfast...unless one counts some rough tops and purified water. So we were all too anxious to stuff our mouths before proceeding on. The driver for the shuttle (from the Aerial Trek back to the "assembly area") felt the need to let us suffer. But we eventually got to the craft market area (after catching another bus from the "assembly area"). The food wasn't bad actually (it's better to be pleasantly surprised I say!). We then caught the shuttle and went to Welchman Hall Gully.

Welchman Hall Gully was a nature walk. Can't put it any other way. Some may find it boring. Others (like myself) found it interesting... not overly exciting, but interesting.



After that, we proceeded to the Flower Forest. Not much to say really. It had lots of flowers and I was somewhat expecting more. It was cool none-the-less. It also had some nice views.



After all that, we went back to the craft market and chilled a bit. My friend bought some cat tail something (yuck) and I settled for a snow cone. We were able to see some performances , but then had enough (since we were tired, especially my friend who had come back from Norway the day before).

I got home about 7:30 p.m., having left home at about 7 a.m. But the day was good, exciting, fun... a good day!

No comments: