Monday, April 21, 2008

RE in Practice!

I've now gone 2 weeks, 1 day into the most exciting course yet. This one deals with mitigation and adaptation to climate change impacts. It addresses how we can use technology, etc to reduce our continued pollution and also more cost-effective (mostly) measures, such as renewable energy technologies to protect ourselves from rising oil prices, etc. Needless to say I love it! Right up my alley!

Last week Friday I had the pleasure of going to a house. It was that of the Consulate of Ghana (Hon) who happens to also be a medical practitioner (Dr). He has solar panels installed at his house as well as a wind turbine. He showed us how he was able to run his entire medical practice (including air conditioning) on the power generated (he pays US$3-4 each month and that is roughly the cost of the meter) and how he was able to cut is bill from his house from about US$600 to US$40-50 per month, all running on the same system. We got to see first hand how the different components are connected and their workings. Additionally, he also has his own water from his own tank and all that stuff.

That further served to inspire me! I ended up making several calls to J'ca (after online searching) to find companies that deal with these alternative energies. I found 3 and I know there is more. Overall they were expensive, but quite doable. (Need more info? Contact me) I am hoping to be able to help convert my place of abode into such a place, even starting out small.

I go to another place on Fri. This is where they make solar water heaters so that should be another exciting trip. Looking forward to it.

No comments: