Friday, September 5, 2008

Aquatic Skills 2 and Lessons Learned

Today is Day 3 (but Day 2 for me) of the Aquatic Skills course that I invaded. I was hesitant to go because I wasn't quite up to it from the day before, but I figure since they've already paid for me I should make it there. So I went.

The day started out good. Ended good too. It rained in the morning but after lunch the sun was out with all its might. Now to more details.

In the morning, we were to swim (on our backs) out to the glass bottom boat which is twice the distance of the white boat we swam out to on Day 1 (see picture- look for the glass bottom boat WAY out, just in front of the war-looking ship/boat). I thought to myself, Help Faddah! But I struggled, I overcame some fears, and I made it (without the help of a lifejacket). The rain was pouring and it was cold but I didn't mind too much. The water felt good...when I was in it. When we got to the boat, we had to jump/dive from the boat as well. First time, I couldn't bring myself to it so I was helped in (ie, lifted and dropped in). Second time I decided I wanted to try diving in (yeah, get over the specific fear of diving). That also took a while but unlike the first entry, I was not assisted...not physically anyways. I made a grand total of 3 dives, the last being the best but still needing improvement. Seems I like to bend my knees too much. After all that, we then had to swim back to shore. Sigh. Dem muscles get a good workout!



After the LONG swim back, we went kayaking! As if my muscles didn't get enough workout! It was fun. Fortunately I had someone who had more muscles than I do/did. We went far...and at one point (where it was shallow), I was in the kayak by my lonesome and the huge wave came and knocked me out! It was fun though. We headed back to the place from whence we came and had lunch.

After lunch was snorkelling. That was cool as well. Decided to swim back to shore. Clearly I have masochistic tendencies! I had my lifejacket so I was good. I also had help from someone who saw the need to help a sister out. How nice of him! Anyways, I was happy I made it though at times I was wondering what the heck I was doing so far away from shore and swimming in. But I made it! And I was so proud of myself. Sniff.

So I have made lots of progress. And I have also been over-tanned (thin line separating that from burnt which I was couple days ago). Don't believe me? See pic below.



I came home and washed my hair. Later I was reminded that though I sometimes feel really crappy and in the mood to see my own tears (like I was yesterday), there is always someone in worse situations than I and I should try to look more on the positive things and be thankful in the not-so-great times....well more than I am since I do try.

What a day!

1 comment:

iqpLENS said...

Yup, what a day you had. I am exhausted just reading about it. The good thing is you had fun.