Monday, September 1, 2008

Fibromyalgia

So for the last couple week my shoulder has been acting up again. Sometimes it'd start when I am using my computer. Other times when I'm sitting watching TV or standing waiting for a bus. But this week it got to me, so today (being the first day of classes at UWI here), I called the Health Centre to see of the Drs. were back and they were so I went.

The Dr who "examined" me was the one who I'd gone to before. Without looking at my shoulder she made her diagnosis- I have fibromyalgia. I told her what my problem was and apparently that was all that was required. She recommended I stop doing the things that would aggravate it and perhaps physiotherapy. She thought about some drug that was expensive (she said) so I didn't bother to get the name or Rx.

Truth be told, I am half inclined to believe her diagnosis is correct. Some of the articles I read fit my symptoms, others I aint sure about. But since I don't have money for a second opinion, I will go with her evaluation. And since I do not have money for physiotherapy, I will have to try and keep my shoulder relaxed and do my physiotherapy (aka massages). Of course for someone doing a research paper that requires a lot of typing it will be difficult to prevent it from getting worse but hey, this is a price for doing what I love- trying to change (over) the world!

No comments: