Monday, September 3, 2007

Bim Aint Flat!

I took my time and got ready today to go to school. Good thing I did. I got a package from FedEx- quite unexpected. And it was Divine intervention. Details later.

I finally left out and on my way to deliver a paper to a house close by, a neighbour offered me a lift up the road. Of course I was very happy, because dat dere was not appealing in the sun! So I took it, and it turned out to be better than I expected, because she dropped me above campus, and the air conditioning in the car was very much noted and appreciated. So I walked the short-enough distance to school.

The first place I went was the Post-Graduate department. I figure they will be able to tell me all I needed to know and where to go to get what I needed. And indeed they did. I went to Student Affairs Records, and got the form I needed to fill out for Immigration matters. I started filling it out there, but then realised it’s probably best to go elsewhere. So I went from there over to CERMES, and then took the walk down the hill to open an account at RBC.

There were a few things I noted about the bank. It’s rather small, but that’s cool. However, I had to wait for a long time before I was called in, and I had to ask who I should go to etc. Their partitions (for the lines) were not the cloth and metal poles we use back home- they had plastic/metallic dividers that makes things more rigid (not sure why I notice this). Also, each teller had a thing where a pen was attached in case the customer needed one, and the areas for writing had as well. This eliminates the need for people to constantly ask other people to borrow pens. I also realised that their debit card facility is rather laid-back because I have to go back to pick up my card.

I walked back to campus up the hill. (Goodness- I’m so unfit!). I, by this time, had finished filling out the form for Immigration (had nuff time to do it), so I tried first to head to get something to drink, but lines in Bookshop and Cafeteria were way too long. Went and handed in my form and it was good. Nothing to add or subtract. Then I went to a kiosk and bought drink and food (a salad). Then I headed back to CERMES and borrowed a novel because the other one is about to finish and I wanted another to replace, then headed for the exit, but on my way I saw a UWI bus. Of course, I enquired and found out (to my pleasant surprise) that they run during the day at 15 minutes pass each hour, and I would get a lift to the top of my road! Thank you Jesus! That’s BB$3 saved today from not taking public transport, and no hill to descend.

I got home and ate my food in my room. It had a bit too much mayo. Much of it got wasted. Then checked mail, chatted, etc. And found Power 106 FM to listen to some Jamaican news for election results.

Later in the evening, my neighbour took me to show me a short cut to a supermarket. Myth: Barbados is flat. It was down a hill! A hill! And it was hard going down the hill, but much worse going back up! I don’t know how often I will go to that supermarket. But if I want to be fitter, I know what to do. There were people there using a part of the journey (some steps) for exercise. I also got the antenna for the tv in my room so at least the one station I get is clear now…but I don’t see myself watching pre-historic Days of Our Lives episodes so I turned it off. Maybe later they will have decent programmes. So I continued to chat and listen to radio.

On the way down and up the place that is not flat or short to the supermarket, I took pictures.

The Short-cut (In no particular order)T

The Humble (Temp) Abode

What I learnt today: Golden apple is J’can june plum. And swear words are pips (I think). And, of course, BARBADOS IS NOT FLAT!

1 comment:

iqpLENS said...

Not flat at all, if you can find the time on Sunday mornings consider taking a hike with the Barbados National Trust (Hike Barbados). I am sure you would enjoy it.

The schedule can be viewed at Hike Barbados or Barbados.org.