Wednesday, September 5, 2007

OAS Office and More

Today I got up thinking that I have a lot of walking to do and worse, I didn’t know exactly where I was going. I called a neighbour (friend) to ask how to get there. I got the directions and my heart sank a bit- it sounds like nuff walking in the sun! Sigh. A few minutes later, however, she called me back to say she was going to head on the road and would give me a lift. (Alleluia!!)

I now had purpose and drive to get ready, and I barely finished eating before she was ready and at the gate. (Thank God for Wrigley’s Polar Ice gum). We chatted on the way and I told her that despite a screw missing from my dark glasses, I still wore them (yeah I did- the sun is hot and eyes were gonna rebel). Basically my face would hold up the end that was missing the screw. So she decided that was too much and she took me to a optical place to get a screw put in! Yay! I have my glasses back!

She took a route to Bridgetown that I hadn’t seen before (not like I’ve been here that long and know most of the routes). She showed me places (most of which I may’ve already forgotten). Then I got to where I needed to go.

I went inside the building in search of the OAS Office. Eventually I found it (and without asking). I went in and explained who I was and the lady knew why I was there and told me to have a seat. Afterwards, she told me to go say hi to the director, so I did. He was really nice. We chatted for a long time about Jamaica and afterward about what I was doing at UWI here (he’s Jamaican for the record). He had a lot to say about our politics and politicians and it’s obvious he knows his stuff.

The latter part of the convo (as I said) was spent talking about why I was here in Barbados. And he even knew about some of that as well! Anyways, I told him I was not able to return home and do my research as I’d like because my contract states explicitly that I cannot. He was shocked! He didn’t understand why that clause would be stipulated, especially if it’s supposed to be help me work in my home country for the period I’d be bonded. I told him I could email him the contract (which I did) and he could look at it for himself. In essence, he’s gonna plead on my behalf to possibly have that clause revoked or changed or whatever. I should add my prayers too and hope he reaches somewhere. I mean, I wont be paid while I’m back home, but hey!

I then walked to the bank to deposit my cheque into my newly opened account (well 2 days old). That’s when I was told that I didn’t sign a document (from another branch where I actually opened the account). So I had the option of signing a blank copy there, or going back to the other branch and signing original. I opted for the latter. The account was still opened and working (or whatever term they use).

I left there not sure exactly where to go, but as soon as I got outside and started walking, I realised where I was. Whew! Last thing I needed was to be leaving a bank not knowing where I’m going. I stopped by a pharmacy (kinda making sure nobody was following on the way) and picked up a few stuff, then headed for the bus. Took it and went to the other bank and signed the document and got my bank card. Then I walked to school and waited for the UWI bus to drop me close to home.

Came home and went straight to the fridge to get my fried rice from yesterday to heat it up. Living off fat in the sun is not very nice! Ate and then settled to my computer and Sesame Street and Bill Cosby.

Not a bad day!

No comments: