Sunday, September 30, 2007

Full Day Lyme

Today I went to church with friends. Part of my motivation for going was the fact that it was at the beach. That's unheard of where I come from. Beach is for trips or one-day retreats. I felt weird dressing in jeans pants and a sleeveless shirt and flip flops to go to church, but I did and was not out of place. They sang a lot of songs- some I knew, some I didn't. They read from the Bible, and gave the message which wasn't very long. All in all not a bad service. At the end, I met a new friend.

I got home a bit later than I expected but it was worth it. I ate some dinner and went to sleep propped up on my bed. Sometime after it rained and I realised how bad it was when the thunder woke me (be it known this is the first time I am hearing thunder here in this place that is schizo when it comes to weather). I was supposed to be going to a birthday lyme on the other avenue at 3:30, and sometime after 4 when I woke up and heard the rain, I went right back to sleep. I think I eventually got up close to 5 and went over there (now that the rain had stopped and the sky cleared a bit).

The lyme was cool. Food was good. It was made interesting by the fact that power went so initially we were working off a lone mini-flashlight, but the chatting continued. Light came back eventually and we just continued to chat. Conversations moved from Caribbean related issues to slavery to music to faith. I eventually left there after 8 with lunch for the next day (it was offered for the record). Others of my classmates who were walking walked with me home... I'm either loved or they felt guilty. Either way, the company was appreciated. I came inside and started school work.

So, at the end of the day, I can say that the day was well spent (and I may've have gained an additional 5 pounds and an inch or two around the waist from all the nyamming that I did- breakfast, pieces of lasagna after the church service, dinner, food at the lyme with 3 different cakes!).

No comments: