Saturday, September 29, 2007

Hotel and a Concert

Friday was my dad's last day of classes in Bim, and so we decided to meet in the evening at Cave Shepherd. I went to school (cause I'm cheap and I hate dem ZR buses)- the idea was to wait there for him to call me, then I would leave on the UWI bus to town. I got there and didn't get much work done, but I left and went to town.

I got to Cave Shepherd expecting to see my dad. No such luck. Walked the entire ground floor. Nothing. Looked around at stuff I had no interest in except to kill time. Walked around some more. Nothing. Paged him (through their intercom). Went upstairs. Nothing. Went back downstairs. Nothing. So I decided I was gonna go upstair and browse through books and stop killin' out myself. I had perfect timing, because some 40 min after I arrived I finally saw him. Apparently the buses were the problem so I couldn't stay upset too long. (Dem darned buses).

We left there and walked Swan Street. Too much walking and nothing to show for it. But at least my dad has some idea what he would return for the following day. He apparently didn't think I was serious about duty free shopping with passport and ticket.

We left there and went to Cheffett (however it spell) for me to get dinner since I wasn't gonna cook jack! I decided to try and spend more time with him so I went back to his hotel. That was an experience! The buses are perhaps worse than the ones in J'ca- they have no ac like the coaster buses (they are more like the old buses we got rid of ages ago). Plus, the music is loud and "raw" and I only took it because 3 came before and were more packed and my father insisted (and it was night). I was very, very disturbed- the driving was horrible, I think they took some back route, and did I mention the music was loud and horrible?! Oh, I was standing so to say I was uncomfortable is an understatement, especially when a lady sitting was holding on to the other side through my legs, but I was kind enough to move so she wouldn't have to struggle though my legs (I did say this was disturbing right?!!?).

We ended up passing the hotel but the other stop wasn't too far. We got there and I basically went to the room and watched tv and slept. Yeah, I was lazy and spent the night there. Chances are I aint gonna spend time in no fancy hotel anytime in the near future.

Got home in rain in the morning. Sky looked very angry. But plans were made to go out later with a dear friend/adopted aunt who wanted to meet daddy. We went to his hotel and had drinks and then we went to the supermarket to pick up a few things, then she dropped me at the First Emmauel Baptist church for a youth concert.

I got there at about 6:10 and they appeared to have already started. I walked into church with my one black plastic bag of groceries and took my seat beside my landlady. The first thing I noticed was steelpans. The praise and worship was first- that was ok. The concert itself was decent but SO long! I spent more than FOUR HOURS there! The steelband had issues but were ok overall. I was spoilt so seeing a band play songs with music sheets and still make mistakes was a bit much, but I tried on focus on the fact that it was ministry. (I also tried to ignore the fact that stage presence was rather lacking...I have some experience with that) . I met someone else I had met from J'ca and chatted with him a bit during intermission (small world indeed). I must also mention that the building was really nicely decorated according to their theme: Dive Deeper. They had fish nets in the ceiling and "bubbles" by the windows and fish and life savers, etc.

I am now tired. I have a long day ahead tomorrow and an even longer 2 weeks (God help me!).

No comments: