Saturday, September 1, 2007

My Adventures Begin

August 28, 2007

I wake up realizing that it’s the last time I’m going to waking up in my own bed for a long time. I prayed and did my getting ready. Left home later than I anticipated, but oh well.

I arrived at the airport at about 7. There was virtually no lines so I walked right to the ticketing counter. I did my check-in, then went back outside to kill more time with my dad and best friend. I went back inside at about 7:40 after taking pictures. Note in all this I didn’t cry- I’m such a big girl now!


No hassle at Immigration. Went through and realized that I needed to eat since I coped out on breakfast. Settled for a small cup of hominy porridge from Island Grill since they had no eggs or lettuce for the egg sandwich and I’ve learnt from past experience that their other breakfast items are less than ideal. Then RuTaLoRo called me and we were chatting and she reminded me about my laptop and customs. So off I went. By the time I finished there they had already called my flight and they were boarding. I ate on the airplane.

I got the Montego Bay at about 10. Went to sit by the Air Jamaica terminal and turned on my laptop. After 2 disappointing tries, I was finally successful in logging on (for free) to a wireless connection. I had many issues with it, in that the connection was switching itself and so I kept being disconnected. Anyways, seeing that I have a long flight ahead and little hope of something substantial to eat, I went in search of food. All I saw initially was junk food. So I had to indulge in Marguaritaville’s Jerk Cheeseburger with fries and pipe water (I refused to pay over J$200 for a regular bottle of water…or any water for that matter). Wasn’t bad, but rather expensive! Atmosphere was good as well so I didn’t complain too much.

After grub, I went back to whence I came and found it rather difficult to keep my internet connection. At first I couldn’t find it, then when it came back, it wouldn’t stay…maybe it’s cause it was intended for 1st class and a mere economy like myself can’t afford it. (The name of the wireless service was Air Jamaica First Class for the record). Tried to top up credit and couldn’t get the stupid thing running long enough to do that! I eventually decided that I didn’t think I was in the mood to put up with this foolishness so shut down the computer and dozed a bit. By the way, somewhere in-between fighting with the internet connection and sleep, there was an announcement about the flight being delayed by an hour.

I boarded the aircraft for the final time at 1:45 p.m. Found my seat and of course it isn’t a window seat. Sigh. I stick it out until we’re airborne (which was at 2:20) and cruising. I found my a nice seat away from people with a window and a nice view of the sky (which is what I wanted in the first place). The food was ok- nothing spectacular, but enough to fill the very small hole that was there since the burger and fries and pipe water. The view, of course, was awesome. I’ll never get enough of the sky and will always be memorised by the awesomeness of a Being who could create such wonderful phenomenons.

Some 2 hours, 50 min later, we touched down at the Grantley Adams International Airport. After we deplane, I head to Immigration. There was where I remembered that I did get a letter from UWI stating that I have been accepted and that that letter is sitting in my nice, blue case at home in JA. Great! Fortunately I remembered another letter I got with a package so I showed this to the lady (she wasn’t very pleasant but oh well- we all have our bad days). I wasn’t able to show her a student ID card since I haven’t gotten one yet. She then informs me that I have only 30 days in her country unless UWI sends immigration a letter stating my acceptance blah blah blah. Great!

I waited for a long time before I got my luggage. Then I stood a while looking like I lost my shadow because there were no porters available, and there was no way I could carry the bags by myself without making several trips, and since I didn’t know where or how far I was going, I decided against several trips. Eventually someone who was carrying luggages for some other UWI students carried mine as well (because the student was so nice to offer her porter...all is not lost). I reach customs and thank God the lady only asked my a few questions, to which I answered her truthfully and went my way. No opening to search anything. (The balance has been struck- more or less anyways). Then I go outside and see a lady with a nice, small, but visible plaque bearing my name correctly spelt. Sniff. I’m finally here!

It takes a few min to arrive at my destination (ie, temp home), but I get there eventually. No major anything on the way, except I was shown a few places and told a few things that will have to be repeated several times before I remember any of it. My room is small but cozy. It’s the first of it’s kind as I’ve never been on my own before and this works quite well as a first-timer. I have a desk to study, use my computer etc, another one with a chair where I can comb my hair, etc (since it has a mirror and a light above), a 5-drawer chest of drawers, a queen-sized bed, a closet, and a bookcase (sorta) the length of the closet (and beside it) with ample space. There is a telephone also and a port for internet connection (which I aint sure I taking yet cause I aint so sure what the deal is here and it’ll cost extra money). There is an overhead fan (that, unfortunately only has one speed) and overhead lighting.

Whew! Long day. I ate a fritter-like thing made with potatoes and fish and had veggies with it and cool (pipe) water that the mother of my host prepared for me. Now it’s time to settle to reading my Bible, praying and thanking God for His many, many blessings, and sleep! After all more adventures await me tomorrow!

1 comment:

Sweet Simone said...

YAY! we reach :D Let the fun begin!