Thursday, September 27, 2007

More Turtles

Yesterday was a good day. I felt better physically and otherwise, and though it was less productive than I hoped, I still got a fair amount of work done and I was able to set up a topica account for my class to be able to share info and stuff.

In the night (about 7:30), a small group left school to go to Drill Hall Beach. This is part two of our 4-hour turtle patrol. We got there and waited a bit for the main person to come. When he arrived, we went unto the beach and right away we found a nest...and the rain came. I headed to get my umbrella from the car (since it wasn't far), and we did the paperwork. The rain didn't last, but it was enough to leave me wet and cold.

We left there and went along the beach (to the left). While we were there, they got a call about a turtle nesting at Turtle Cove Hotel, so we packed ourselves in the van and went there. It was nothing short of amazing to see the turtle in action. She had already dug the hole and was perched over it laying. I was captivated by the size of the thing even though I was told it was probably a medium sized Hawksbill turtle. She then took her time covering the hole and patting it down and throwing back sand on it, but it was tad difficult to do so since she was in vegetation, but she did anyways (apparently they're strong). It took a long time for all that, but afterward, our team had to move fast. We took her tag nos. and measured her carapace. Of course she wasn't gonna just sit still, so one member of our group had to hold her. She then went her merry way into the water. The many tourists that gathered were perhaps just as amazed to see it all.

We left there and headed back to the not-so-nice beach (looked horrible at low tide). We turned to the right this time around and headed toward the Hilton Hotel. We saw interesting sites like people running into bushes because they didn't have clothes on, but no turtles. We sat there and chilled a while and chatted. After that, we decided it was just about our time to leave so we did. However, on approaching the car, we saw another turtle. She had already laid and was covering up, so we took the tags and measured and she went her merry way.

This was a very unique and fun-filled and awe-inspiring night for me.

Today I woke up sometime around midday. Oh well. I had my egg and cheese sandwhich for breakfast and tried doing work. Got some work done.

Later in the day I realised that I still had much to work on with personal matters. I started having mild heart palpitations again. But I have come a long way to working on my life and the possible reasons I'd be having them so I just need to keep praying and let God do the rest.

Tonight I plan to watch me some CSI. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Rae said...

lis'n mi nuh chiki. yu trai yu bes caam doun dem nervs de fi mi nu. tenki.

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to see those turtles in action.

Yes, please try to stay calm as much as possible.